Friday 20 December 2013

Christmas Cookies, Oh My!

Hello, friends, and Merry Christmas! Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, I hope you are merry nonetheless. I personally just love holidays for the food... all holidays.

My favourite way to show people I care is with food. Surprised? Ha!

It's all about the Christmas cookies. I pondered what cookies screamed Christmas; Gingerbread and shortbread top the list, as well as thumbprint cookies, rum balls, and probably some sort of square like date squares or oat bars and such (didn't make those this time).

I made a shit ton of cookies to give to friends.



The thumbprint cookies were super simple and so good! I just mashed a bunch of banana, added almond butter, a bit of maple syrup, oats and baking powder, and an organic jam center. I also made some raw balls, which I intended to be rum balls, but I had no rum, so just ended up making these with what I had on hand. I used prunes ase my base, and I added coconut oil and tons of shredded coconut, as well as some maca, cinnamon and maple syrup. To be honest, I hadn't written down the recipe for those two, or I'd share those too.

The raw balls and the jam cookies were the only gluten free ones I made. I used fife flour as my flour for the following recipes, and I'm not sure how other flours would work, but I'm thinking a gluten-free all purpose flour blend would be okay if you're celiac or gluten intolerant. Feel free to sub, and let me know how they turn out.

Here is the recipe for the shortbread and gingerbread cookies. They were the biggest hit. I didn't use any margarine... they're all based with delicious and nutritious coconut oil.



Vegan Shortbread Cookies

-1 cup room temperature coconut oil
-3/4 cup icing sugar (you can make your own in a blender using just regular granulated sugar. I used organic cane sugar, but I think coconut sugar would be best)
-2 cups spelt or fife flour
-1/2 cup coconut flour
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp sea salt

Preheat the oven to 350.

In a large bowl, beat the coconut oil with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the icing sugar and mix again. Add remaining ingredients and beat just until combined. Do not overmix.

If you want your cookie dough to be more manageable for shaping, put it in the fridge for a couple minutes to firm up. This can be helpful if your kitchen is quite hot.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. I found them perfect after 11. Enjoy!



Vegan Gingerbread Cookies

-3/4 cup room temperature coconut oil
-1/4 cup maple syrup (you can also use raw honey if you eat it)
-1/4 cup + 2 tbsp coconut sugar
-1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
-1 tbsp milled flax seed mixed with 3 tbsp water
- 1 1/4 cups spelt or fife flour
-1/3 cup + 2 tbsp coconut flour (+ more for flouring the work surface)
-1 tbsp pumpkin spice (you can just use a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves)
-1.5-2 tbsp ground ginger
-1/2 tsp sea salt
-1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350. Mix the flax "egg" and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the coconut oil with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the flax "egg" and beat again. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to mix until combined.

Flour your work surface liberally with more coconut flour. Kneed your dough over the flour, and spread it about a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick, if shaping into cookies using a cookie cutter (or shot glass). If you just want good old fashioned circles, just roll them into balls and put on a greased baking sheet, then flatten with your hands.

Note: You may want to refrigerate the dough before shaping, or add more coconut flour. The coconut oil may melt and make the cookies hard to work with.

Once your cookies are shaped and placed on the baking sheet, pop them in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Less time will result in softer cookies.

Enjoy! I had leftover cashew cream icing (no recipe for that today), and I sandwiched it between my cookies.




As a side note to end off, some random person who I don't know has made a website without my permission at www.missveggievibes.com. This is NOT me behind this! I'll be trying to resolve the issue. Just letting you guys know.

Have a great holiday. More recipes coming soon!

xo
Tijana

No comments:

Post a Comment